Monday, November 24, 2014

Board Game Design Postmortem: Eye of Anger

This is a board game project for our game design class that went too big in scale and became really hard to balance, I like the dramatic elements though.



My favorite RPG game, Nier, has this ending where on your third playthrough, you can choose to sacrifice yourself for the woman you love, or watch her die. The unique experience is, when sacrificing yourself, all your play data will be deleted. It will display your savings, achievements, weapons, then delete them one by one, and the operation is irreversible. I really like this design because it makes the player realize what they are doing: it’s not about pressing a button, but about sacrificing something you have as a player for someone you really like. When you sacrifice your savings and achievements for this character in game, you will at least understand the struggle of the main character, who sacrificed everything. That is something about the dramatic element that I really want to bring inside the game. In most of these “darker” games, it’s just the characters who are struggling, and the players knows it’s all “not real”. I want to bring something “real” into my game to enhance the dramatic experience.

Therefore, I want a game where “gameplay choices” are connected with “plot choices”, so that players feel a part of the emotion that the characters feel when they are making those choices. That was how I started making Eye of Anger.

What went right


Good “betrayal” mechanic
I decided to make a 2 player card drifting game where players have to share resource and cooperate before they betray each other. I had a hard time figuring out what to do when a playtester told me that the betraying does not make sense because it was mandatory, then it becomes a “just for fun” thing. Then I realized that the betrayal was not engaging because there was no reason for player to betray one another and decided to make it so that the game is very easy to snowball. The player who gets ahead will be able to control the flow of the game and overpower the other side. Even the choices they make are done purely for good intentions (like a card that adds really high score to both side but prevent the other side from doing anything the next round, and only playable when you are ahead), the feeling of losing control will make the other player “slightly unhappy”, therefore making the betrayal a reasonable choice, while the other side will still feel angry when being betrayed because they did it out of pure good intention.  

When I was playing the game with my friend, he was very unhappy about it and refused to play after the first game because it “was not balanced”, even when the final score difference is not very obvious. I do feel happy because it proves that the game is not mechanically wrong, but it does let player feel like they are losing control and being on the weak side the whole time.


Dramatic elements embodied in gameplay
I used an “era” mechanic to make player feel like their characters have grown up and changed when they are playing. Each era, player will abandon old cards and get new, more powerful ones. Therefore, the event happens in the beginning will never happen in the end of the game, and I can ensure the story development is logical. 

I took a different approach to name my cards. Rather than naming them “the minion of something” or something magic related, I use those cards to tell a story of two people meet each other, become friends, start to doubt each other, and finally betray their friends. I use name like “first meet” and “team up”, combined with customized flavor text, to really tell a story in the game. I asked my friend what he thought the story was, and his answer is almost exactly what I wanted to hear:  two people fight together, one grow too strong, and the other is poisoned by anger and envy, then betray his friend for power. My favorite part about that response was, even though the betrayer’s attitude was not directly described anywhere(not even in flavor text), he still realized what the betrayer’s motive is, which proves that the story conveys emotion pretty well.


Strong sense of collaboration
To make the betrayal truly dramatic, I needed players to trust each other in the beginning of the game. Therefore I decided to use a card drifting system with many cards that will benefit both side or just the other side when played. All playtesters said they like how collaborative they felt in the first two eras: they shared everything and helped each other, but never fully trusted each other. That kind of shady collaboration is what I am looking for to meet the atmosphere of the game.


Constrain in dramatic elements
I want to add in dramatic elements in as many ways as possible, but I also want to keep the information short and precise so players are not overwhelmed with them. If the description is too accurate and packed with information, it could probably irritates the player because something was not the same as they imagined, therefore reduce the sense of reality.

Since English is not my first language, I make my flavor text very short, with as little “accurate” information as possible: players will know that the two characters meet and like each other from the flavor text, but not how they meet or what part do they like in each other. I believe leaving space for imagination only enhance dramatic elements, since player will be able to have their own interpretation of the plot,  which is always based on their own life experience, thus become more attached to their character. 

I decided to go for full text on my cards because first, it was too much work to be done in a short amount of time. Second, I already added enough flavor text, if I add in more accurate information it might destroy the player’s imagination. 

It is hard to conclude how the texts worked out, but everyone said the dramatic element is great and they really feel bad when reading some lines, so I believe it was an acceptable job.


Package really stands out
I spent a long time making a polymer clay coated box to package my cards. The box has a “seal” in the front, which hides a magnet so it will remain closed until someone tries to open it. I made it that way so the package itself also enhance dramatic element: you feel like you are opening a seal and you don’t know what is inside the box, and it was so easy to open that you feel like the seal will break at any time to release the demon inside. There is also a 3D demon eye on the back of the box. I thought about making it in the front but then the suggestion would be too obvious and people will think it is about killing demons. So I put it in the back: it is something you have to look for to find out, yet it is so unsettling that you will not forget it once you see it.


What went wrong

Scale of the project was too big
I had to make about 40 cards for every draft of the game ,and I kept redoing every card set rather than balancing them. I managed to finish the project, but the lack of time means I could not found playtesters when I needed to, and the final game is very loosely balanced on one game that I played with my friend the day before it is due. I started out ambitious but ended up very frustrated with the project because there was just too many things to take care of and too many elements to tune. Some elements was nicely tuned but others were not well thought out and was there because scrapping it would take too much effort so I could only try “improve” it in a smaller scale.

Planning is always important, and I think one crazy last week is enough for me to understand the limitation of my ability.


The “Loved One” cards felt unnecessary
I wanted player to have a “loved one” card that the other side can take away, so the rage makes more sense plot wise, and the betrayed side really feel like they lost everything. The “Loved One” card would also grow based on the player’s power, and gives player new power then they grow. However, because the balancing gets too complicated, I removed the growing concept, along with the most of the flavor text that makes player knows more about their “Loved One”. Now the “Loved One” is just a card that offers passive aura. Player will still be able to steal that card from the other side, but without the emotion connection and growth, the stealing was not as dramatic as I expected.
There was also another gimmick I did: on the play board, the “Loved One” will be placed on the button left corner, and there is a line about how it’s closest to your heart. I like the gimmick, but with the removal of the emotional connection, it feels rather obvious and forced.

If I could do it again, I will probably give player one “update card” they can stack on their “loved one” after defeating the boss for each era. It would be good from both a fantasy game standpoint and a character growth standpoint. I still need to think about how to show the character growth through stacking cards though.


Inclusive design did not make the character unique
When first designing, I had 3 characters for players to choose from: a king who fights for his kingdom, a warrior who fights to protect people, and a mother who fights for her child. Since the character’s identity had nothing to do with gameplay and there seemed to be too much text, I took it out and made players only able to choose from two “loved one” card: a sick daughter or a weak lover. I was afraid to describe a female “weak lover” or a mother who fights for her daughter because it was not inclusive enough, but having just “a daughter” and “a lover” really destroy the emotional connection and makes the player character less powerful.

I would probably still add in the character description if I am to do the game again, but it should be mixed with the “Loved One” description and show some interaction between the two.


Innovation ruined production quality
I soaked the cards in lemon juice and baked them in oven to achieve a brownish “old” texture, then used a font and color that is very hard to read on flavor text when printing cards. I thought it would make the cards look old, and makes the flavor text something that player have to pay attention to discover so it won’t interfere with normal gameplay. However, the flavor text turned out so hard to read that even if you pay attention, you have to try very hard to read it. Also, the paper smells like cookies, which might be a good thing for a fun game, but does not fit my theme at all. Now I realized I have to be very careful if I want to do something new for a final product




No comments:

Post a Comment